A thick, hard and compliant thermal break strip
A 12mm thick, compliant thermal break strip, made from a hard, unique dual-layer density configuration* of polyolefin insulating material with closed cell technology, that gives it excellent compression resistance and great strength.
Specifically designed for use on steel framed constructions
HardieBreak thermal strip has been specifically designed for use behind James Hardie and Scyon™ external cladding on steel frames in residential, medium density, transportable and commercial applications, to reduce thermal bridging.
Provides excellent compression resistance, great strength and thermal performance
- The material makeup and unique dual-layer configuration* of HardieBreak thermal strip contributes to its excellent compression resistance and great strength. These performance attributes enable it to provide the necessary support to the cladding to help reduce facade waviness, and a robustness that minimises breakage during handling and installation. HardieBreak thermal strip is also non-absorbent and mould resistant, which helps reduce the likelihood of rusting in steel frames that could potentially void steel frame warranty. It’s also termite resistant.**
- When installed, HardieBreak thermal strip improves a walls R value by up to 12%** compared to other commonly available R0.2 m2K/W thermal break strips (when the appropriate anti-glare vapour permeable membrane is installed), and up to 30% compared to walls having no thermal break at all. This is attributed to a number of factors including its thickness and hardness, and also the cavity air-gap it creates between the cladding and sarking when it’s installed. It can also minimise heat leakage through metal window frames in a home when installed behind the window.
- HardieBreak thermal strip has been designed to fit the length of common wall frames to help reduce on-site cutting and wastage. And when it does need to be cut, it’s done easily with a Stanley knife. Its thickness enables cladding to be installed with commonly available screws and its hardness minimises facade rippling. Added to this, HardieBreak thermal strip is 43mm wide which makes it extra efficient to install when faced with wide stud applications that may be required for some external cladding, as only one strip is needed. The self-adhesive backing tape on HardieBreak thermal strip sticks directly to vapour permeable barrier for easy and fast installation. HardieBreak thermal strips are packed flat for easy handling.
- In addition to its thermal attributes, HardieBreak thermal strip reduces ghosting effects seen in some cladding installed onto steel framed walls in cool climates. And because it creates a cavity in the wall when installed, which acts as a drainage plane to help moisture escape from the wall, it has the ability to help protect a wall from moisture damage and mould growth.
- HardieBreak thermal strip has been specifically designed by James Hardie for use behind James Hardie® and Scyon™ external cladding on steel frames, and to satisfy BCA thermal break requirements – it’s the thermal break recommended by James Hardie.